What are cookies?
Cookies are small dimensioned files, formed by letters and numbers, that will be stocked on the computer, mobile or any other devices of the user that are connected to the internet.
Cookies are installed through a demand sent to a web-server, browser ( ex.: Internet Explorer, Chrome).
Cookies are completely “passive” (they do not contain software programmes, viruses or spyware and cannot access the information from the user’s hard drive).
A cookie has two parts: the name and the content or value of the cookie. The lifetime of a cookie is determined; from the techican point of view, only the web-server that sent the cookie will have access to the information again when the user returns to website associated to the specific web-server.
Cookies themselves do not demand information with personal character in order to be used and, in most of the cases, they do not personal identify the internet users.
There are two main categories of cookies:
- Session cookies: are temporary stocked in browser’s cookies folder in order for it to memorize them until the user closes the website or the browswer’s window.
- Persistent cookies: are stocked on a computer’s or device’s hard-drive and are activated again when you visit the website that created the specific cookie. Persistent cookies include other cookies placed by other website than the one the user visits at that specific moment. These are also known as “third party cookies”. They memorize the user’s interests in order to deliver relevant adverising.
What is the lifetime of a cookie?
The lifetime of a cookie may considerable vary, depending on the purpose for which the cookie was placed. Some cookies are meant for only one use (session cookies), therefore they are not mentained after the user leaves the browser. Other cookies are mentained and reused each time the user returns to the website (persisten cookies). However, cookies can be deleted by the user anytime, using the browser’s settings.
What are third party cookies?
Some content sections of some websites can be supplied through cookies of a third party’s cookies, as it is for advertising. This way, cookies can be placed on the website and are called third party cookies, because they are not placed by the owner of the website. This kind of third parties are bound to honor the legal reglementations applied and the privacy politics of the website’s owner.
Why are cookies important for the internet?
Cookies are the central point of efficiently functioning of Internet, helping in generating a friendly navigation experience and adapting to the user’s interests and preferences. Refusing or disabling the cookies can make some websites unusable. Refusing or disabling cookies doesn’t mean you won’t recieve online advertising – it means the advertising will no longer respect your interests and preferences, shown by your navigation behaviour. Examples of important improvements made by cookies (without needing autentification of a user through an account):
- Content and services adapted to the user’s preferences – products and services categories;
- Offers adapted to the user’s interests – remembering passwords;
- Remembering the child protection filters regarding the content on the Internet (family mode options, safe search functions);
- Limiting the advertising’s frequency – limiting the number of displays of a commercial for a certain user on a website;
- Providing relevant advertising for the user;
- Measuring, optimizing and Analytics’ characteristics – like confirming a certain level of traffic on a website, what kind of content is visualized and the way the user lands on a website (for example: searching engines, directly, from other websites etc). Websites make these users analysis for making the websites better for their users.
What types of cookies are we using?
Accessing this website, we can place the following cookies:
- Performance cookies: these cookies memorize the user’s preferences on this site;
- Analytical cookies: these tell us if you visited this site before; the browser tells us if you have this cookie; if not, we will generate one;
- Geotargetting cookies: these are used by a software that establishes your country, are completely anonymous and are used only for targeting the content;
- Orders processing related cookies: this site offers e-commerce or payment facilities and some cookies are essential to ensure that your order is remembered between pages so that we can process it properly;
- Forms related cookies:
When you submit data to through a form such as those found on contact pages or reservation forms cookies may be set to remember your user details for future correspondence.
Do cookies contain personal information?
Cookies themselves do not demand information with personal character in order to be used and, in most of the cases, they do not personal identify the internet users. Personal information can be collected through using cookies only for enabling some functionalities for the user.
How can you change the cookie settings from your browser?
Most of browsers offer the possibility to change the settings. These settings are usually situated in “Options” or in the “Preferences” browser’s menu.
The following links can be useful in understanding the cookies settings and you can use the “Help” option in the browser, for more details.
Cookie settings in Safari
For cookies generated by third parties, you can visit this site: http://www.youronlinechoices.com/
If you want to know more about cookies and the way they are used, we recommend the following links:
Hopefully that has clarified things for you and as was previously mentioned if there is something that you aren’t sure whether you need or not it’s usually safer to leave cookies enabled in case it does interact with one of the features you use on our site.
However if you are still looking for more information then you can contact us by sending us an e-mail at office[at]hotelpremier[dot]ro .